Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Barbie Repaint ~ 1st Attempt

Hellooo! It has been a while, and although I have a bunch of unfinished art projects to post, alas, they are unfinished, so when they are done I will post them! But last night I did finish one project that I was very interested in, Barbie repainting! I had an old barbie doll as my trial barbie, so last night I pulled out some brown yellow and orange sharpies, some nail polish remover, and my acrylic paints and went to work :) First I colored her hair with sharpie, as it started out very blonde. Then I wiped all the factory paint off her face with nail polish remover. And finally repainted her face! It was both easier and harder than I thought. I think I need a smaller paint brush next time. For a first time I was happy with the result, but judging it over all next time I would like it to be much better :)



This is the finished product :) Hermione Granger! Although, I did not check her eye color before I painted as it was 1AM and felt lazy to look it up, so her eyes are incorrectly green as they should be brown. I also did not thoroughly color her hair brown, I need to find a better way to dye it than sharpie. Because when I washed her hair out after the sharpie it still had a little bit of stiffness. Human hair dye will not work on barbies because their hair is not porous. I will be doing a better version in the future, this was a practice run to see how it went :)


I could not resist dressing rapunzel up as Luna Lovegood too :) so here is Luna in her lion hat! (Beast barbie head lol) In the future I will get some more accurate clothes for her, but this outfit looked very Luna to me :)


This is the barbie I started with minus the brown in her hair (I had done a little on her hair before I thought to take a picture) Next time I will take a picture of the steps, but I was in a hurry.



This was the outfit I found to turn into a Hogwarts uniform! I was very excited to find it in my old barbie box :) I cut off the top part of the dress and painted gold stripes on the tie for Gryffindor :) Then I used black sharpie to color the designs on the black skirt, which mostly worked but they still show through, so I will probably end up painting the skirt with black acrylic paint mixed with golden brand medium then iron it to make it fabric paint.




Here they are side by side! :) Barbie is definitely better as Hermione lol

Here are some web sites I looked at for information on doing this project :)
how to make fabric paint , and how to repaint a barbie doll, and one way to color barbie hair.
I have seen where food coloring was used to color barbie hair too, I will try this and see if it is permanent or washes out and share that next time :)

enjoy!
<3 Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment